Milled Putters – With their sleek designs and finely milled faces are a thing of beauty…and a guilty pleasure to most golfers because that beauty usually comes at a price…typically around $400! Ben Hogan Golf recently released their Precision Milled Forged Putter line; a lineup of 4 different fully milled and forged putters priced competitively at $250.00. I had to ask myself; can the new Hogan putters perform as well as their higher priced competitors?
Hogan’s Precision Milled Forged line comes in 4 classic putter shapes sure to grab the attention of any golfer. With minimal branding and a black oxide finish, the BHB01 offers a clean look that a wide range of golfers would appreciate. The BHB01 mirrors the classic tri-sole Ping Anser putter; a timeless design golfers flock to when looking for anew flat-stick. Each one can be customized with one of three different SuperStroke Grips. Offering a non-SuperStoke option for golfers like myself who use a traditional style rubber grip would be really nice, and the lack of grip options was one of my biggest issues with the Hogan putters! Each putter comes with a gorgeous blue leather head cover that features Ben Hogan’s famous signature branding.
Ben Hogan’s Precision Milled Forged Putters are made from 1020C carbon Steel which involves a multiple step forging process in order to enhance and strengthen the structure of the metal. That very complex process gives golfers like us a more forgiving putter that will perform consistently regardless of where you strike it. Being a putter review, I wanted to give hackers insight of how the BHB01 performs from typical putting distances.
The “I hope I don’t miss / 3 putt” distance 4 Ft – the BHB01 offers confidence from this range, with its soft face I was able to stand over all putts from this easily missable distance and hit putts confidently regardless of how bad the break was. the PGA tour average at the distance is 92%. I somehow made 87% of my putts from 4FT., with the other 13% either lipping out or just missing the mark.
The “1 Putt chance” distance – 10 ft
The BHB01 provides a solid feel trough contact that helps the ball release seamlessly off the face towards your “guestimed” target line. Whether the greens are lighting fast or slow and shaggy, you can rely on the BHB01 to provide you with exceptional feel and confidence giving you the best chance to make that putt. During my testing, I was able to make 24% of my putts, having 72% of the misses end up within 1-2 feet of the hole. Considering the PGA Tour putting average from this distance is 41% I will take these stats any day!
The “I hope I can get it close distance” - Lag Putt - 40FT
The BHB01 provides you with a solid weight to keep your stroke smooth from start to finish to help aid your distance control. All you have to do is pick your line and keep your tempo, the putter will do the rest and roll purely towards the hole. In testing, I was able to make a total of 3 putts at this distance with 85% of my putts ending up within a 4 FT radius of the hole.
Based off results alone, this Hacker feels the Ben Hogan Precision Milled Forged Line can compete with all the high-end milled putters currently available. With quality materials, classic design, and most importantly consistent performance, Hackers need to give Ben Hogan’s putters a chance to lower their chances of 3-putting!